These oreo cheesecake brownies start with a dense and fudgy brownie topped with a layer of crunchy oreos. A generous amount of creamy vanilla cheesecake filling forms the next layer with more chopped oreos on top. These oreo cheesecake bars give you fudgy, creamy and crunchy all in one bite!
These delicious bars have 3 layers of goodness with some crushed oreos on top. Each layer is straighforward and easy to whip up.
- First is the super fudgy brownie batter. These form the base of the bars. The brownies have two types of chocolate for an extra rich brownie: cocoa powder and melted bittersweet chocolate.
- The next layer is super easy-oreo cookies. Of course you could use a store-brand chocolate sandwich cookie but we all know oreos are the best. These are layered on top of the brownie batter. You'll need 16 oreos, four in each row and column for this layer plus for the top of the bars.
- The final layer is the cheesecake filling. It's a simple filling of cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Pour this right over top of the oreos and smooth it out. Crush some additional oreos and sprinkle those over the top of the filling and then pop it in the oven.
Tips for best results
- Full-fat cream cheese-Make sure to use full-fat cream cheese that has been softened and is room temperature. If you are like me and forget to pull out your ingredients prior to baking, you can place a block of cream cheese on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on 50% power for 10 seconds and then flip and do the same for the other side to quickly soften it. Be sure to watch it carefully and don't let it melt! If you start with cold cream cheese, you will have lumps of cream cheese in your cheesecake.
- Don't overbeat the brownies or the cheesecake filling. Overbeating the brownies can make them tough and overbeating the cheesecake filling can whip too much air into it causing cracks or sinking. Stir the brownie batter until the flour just disappears and the cheesecake filling until everything is smooth.
- Don't overbake! It's tempting to do so as the filling won't be completely set in the center making you think it's not done. It will firm up while cooling.
Tips for serving
The oreo cheesecake brownies need to chill in the refrigerator for a few hours prior to serving. This allows the cheesecake filling to fully set up. I recommend pulling them out of the fridge about 15-20 minutes prior to serving to come to room temperature.
How to store the cheesecake bars
The bars will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. They do need to be stored in the refrigerator due to the cheesecake filling.
Wrap the pan in foil or place the oreo cheesecake brownies in an airtight container. These didn't last very long when I took them to a gathering so you may not need to worry about it :-).
Place them on a sheet tray to freeze for a couple of hours until firm before wrapping them tightly with plastic wrap and foil and then storing them in a zip-top bag or another airtight container. They should last 1-2 months if stored properly.
Maybe. Full-fat cream cheese is the best one to use in this recipe. It obviously has more fat than the other two options and a different moisture content. Low-fat or fat free cream cheese can affect how well the cheesecake portion sets up. If you are wanting to reduce the fat, I would recommend low-fat vs fat-free.
For more cheesecake recipes, check out these:
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Bars
- Mini Chocolate cheesecakes with Thin Mint Crusts
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
Tag me on Instagram @themarblekitchenblog if you make this and leave a star rating and comment below! Thank you and enjoy!
Oreo Cheesecake Brownies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup cocoa powder dutch process or natural
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 22 oreo cookies divided
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang on 2 sides or spray the pan with cooking spray.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat until melted, stirring often.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and let cool for 5 min.
- Add the sugars and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs and stir until combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour and salt and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Place a layer of oreos over the brownie batter in 4 rows and 4 columns with 4 oreos in each for a total of 16 oreos.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, combine softened cream cheese and sugar, mixing until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing about 30 seconds each time. Add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the cheesecake filling over the oreos and brownie batter, smoothing the top.
- Chop the remaining oreos coarsely and sprinkle over top the cheesecake filling.
- Bake the brownies for 40-45 minutes until the cheesecake filling is almost set in the middle.
- Let the brownies cool and then place them into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.